Blackpool Stanley U13 34 — 14 Bamber Bridge Bulldogs U13

Match Report

Blackpool Stanley under 13’s gained their first win of the season against a well organised and determined Bamber Bridge side. The Bridge had won two of their previous three league outings and Stanley were expecting a tough game. The opening exchanges showed that there was little between the two sides and it became clear that the side who produced the least mistakes might be the ones to take the initiative. Both sides produced some entertaining rugby and although Stanley threatened the line on a couple of occasions it was Bridge who managed to cross the try line first after 16 minutes making the score 0 – 4 in the visitors favour. Stanley seemed to rally after the score and within 3 minutes had levelled the score with a classic hookers try from Jack Jones who forced his way over from short range , 4 – 4. Stanley settled In to a pattern and with O’Brien and Tribe working well In the halves a gap was created out wide for Jordan Hindley  to outstrip the Bridge defence and score under the sticks, Oliver Tribe converted to make the score 10 – 4 to Stanley. Good defensive work from Nathan Winter at full back kept Stanley in the lead and strong tackling from Keelan Openshaw and Connor Bullen showed Stanley’s resolve as Bridge started to throw everything they’d got at the home side.

A break away try from Fergus Anderson close to half time which Tribe converted left the half time score at 16 – 4 to the home side. The second half started well for the home side with Liam Harrison breaking a number of tackles to sprint 30 metres and score under the post, again Oliver Tribe converted 22 – 4. Bridge managed to claw back an unconverted try in the 28th minute to make the score 22 – 8. After this Stanley started to take control of the game with strong forward runs from Sean Craven and Dean Harding. On the 38th minute Hindley stole the ball in a one on one tackle and raced 40 metres to score under the posts which Tribe converted to make the score 28 – 8 to the home side.

Bridge weren’t for giving up and showed why they lay second in the league at the start of the game with some well organised plays deep in the Stanley half. Stanley worked hard in defence and particularly with wings Connor Willis and Harry Trask making solid defensive efforts to keep the Bridge at bay. Stanley gained possession on the 46th minute and moved the ball wide to pressure the Bridge defence, whilst their defence scrambled to back on side Stanley got the ball to Anderson who took on the retreating Bridge defence to score under the posts and Oliver Tribe converted to make the score 34 – 8.

Bridge weren’t finished and with the closing play of the game they managed to cross the Stanley line for a converted try leaving the final score 34 – 14 in the home sides favour.

<<< Back to Under 13