Blackpool Stanley u15 24 Leyland Warriors u15 52

Date 22/03/2015
League Under 15s League 2015

Blackpool Stanley U15s vs Leyland Warriors U15s

It’s an overused cliche but never was the phrase “it’s a game of two halves” been more apt in describing the proceedings at Stanley u15s first ever match at their new Kingscote park home ground.

The absence of some Stanley stalwarts meant only 11 players including debutant Harry Kenyon were there for kick-off. With many multi-tasking and out of their usual positions it was always going to be a tough ask. And so it appeared to be. After a seemingly relentless attack by Leyland, by the end of the first half, the visitors had put 34 points on the board. Only a try from Stanley Acting Captain, Danny Stretton, lifted the gloom.

After some half-time team talk from Coach, Oli Winter, the second act began with something of a renaissance. After another try from Leyland, the fight-back, which seems to be this Stanley team’s raisin d’être had begun. Firstly, a 12th man, Harry Trask was straight to work dispensing with some of the speedier Leyland runners. Then a scoot on the try line by Phil Hardy-Dearness, duly converted by Sean Craven had six much-needed points added to the Stanley tally.

Jason Harris, the spectating Stanley u16s coach, led the parents and supporters in rallying the Stanley lads, who responded accordingly by finding the holes in Leyland’s armour. The usual dependable defence from Dean Harding and Matty Stelfox and some first-rate team working from Ben Hindley and Jack Fenton made a clear statement to Leyland that they were not having everything their own way. Conor Willis showed some true grit shrugging off some heavy tackles to keep driving Stanley forward. And if that were all not clear enough, a hat trick from Acting Full Back, Jordan Hindley and another conversion from Sean Craven made the point emphatically.

In the closing minutes Stanley almost scored again, sending the ball out wide to Olly Tribe, who fired himself towards the corner flag only to find himself held up just short of the try line. At the final whistle, the second half score stood at Stanley 20, Leyland 18, and the hosts had clearly shown their mettle. How different things could have been if their first-half two-man disadvantage had not acted against them so cruelly. The Final Score? Blackpool Stanley 24, Leyland Warriors 52.

Trys: Danny Stretton (1), Phil Hardy-Dearness (1), Jordan Hindley (3)

Conversions: Sean Craven (2).